I was born and raised in Cape Town, South Africa. After completing military service, I began teaching Secondary Afrikaans at a private school and then English at a secondary government school, where I wrote and produced my first 3 plays.
I moved to England in 1996, and found a publisher for my plays. I was a primary school teacher for 6 years, during which time I wrote my novel, 'The Pebble Champion'. It took me 13 years to find a publisher for this work. Shortly after moving to the Isle of Wight, I began work on my first poetry collection, "Advancing Backwards", containing poems that had been published in magazines, anthologies and websites worldwide. Leaving the classroom to become a teacher trainer, public speaker and deliverer of study-skills workshops, I devoted my free time to writing teacher resources and creating poetry videos.
In 2012, I returned to full-time teaching, securing posts at international schools in Shanghai, where I presently reside (with my partner, 2 rabbits and 11 cats!).
After moving to China, I wrote my second collection of poetry "Window Spit' and the play "Red-Handed". I also created a number of new poetry videos and an IB Teacher resource brand called Contented Being.
I am presently working on a new play and a new novel.
Alan David Pritchard is a multi-award-winning novelist, playwright, poet, and creator of poetry videos/films.
His novel, ‘The Pebble Champion’ was the WINNER of the Best Book Award at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, 2021. In addition, it received an HONORABLE MENTION at the WriteMovies Spring 2021 Screenwriting Contest, Beverly Hills, USA. Furthermore, it was an OFFICIAL NOMINEE at the 2021 Action on Film Megafest International Film Festival and Writers’ Competition, Las Vegas. Plus, it won the FINALIST AWARD at the Reader’s Favorite Book Awards, Miami, USA in 2019. 'The Pebble Champion' was also selected as a FINALIST at the 2021 Page Turner Best Book Awards Competition.
His play ‘Genius' was the WINNER at one of the regions of the Welsh Young Farmers' Play Festival in 2000 and consequently, a FINALIST in the national competition. 'Genius' was performed at the Brecon Theatre, and 13 years later, staged at the Hafren Theatre in Wales.
His most recent play/ theatre script, ‘Red-Handed’ was the WINNER of the Best Stage Script Award at the following film and writing festivals:
• WINNER at the 4th Dimension Independent Film Festival, Bali, 2021
• WINNER at The Best Script Award Festival, April, London, 2021
• WINNER at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, Las Vegas, 2021.
It was also awarded SEMI-FINALIST at the Script and StoryBoard Showcase Festival, Los Angeles, January 2021, and it was an OFFICIAL SELECTION at the Film Boxe International Film Festival, May 2021.
His first poetry collection, ‘Advancing Backwards’ featured poems selected for publication in literary magazines, poetry anthologies, and websites worldwide. He was chosen as Poet of the Month by the then Poets' Society of London in 2005 and was also invited to read his poetry at the Poetry Café in Covent Garden. Additionally, his video poem from that collection, ‘Like So’ was an OFFICIAL SELECTION at the Visible Verse Poetry Festival in Vancouver, Canada in 2013.
‘Window Spit’, his second poetry collection, was described as “an intoxicating look at today’s reality” by the author Rosie Malzier, and was a FINALIST in the Eyelands International Book Awards, Greece, in 2019. Additionally, it was also a NOMINEE/ FINALIST at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, Las Vegas, 2021.
Some of his recent video poems/ short films from ‘Window Spit’ have been lauded at the following poetry video and film festivals:
• ‘Seismic’ = FINALIST at the 3rd Hottomela International Film Festival, Calcutta, 2021; OFFICIAL SELECTION at the Newlyn PZ International Film Festival, June 2021; NOMINEE at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, Las Vegas, July 2021.
• ‘The Chosen Few’ = OFFICIAL SELECTION at the 9th International Poetry Festival, Athens, 2021; NOMINEE at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, Las Vegas, July 2021; OFFICIAL SELECTION at the International Art Film Festival, London, 2021.
• ‘The Letting Go’ = OFFICIAL SELECTION at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, Las Vegas, July 2021; OFFICIAL SELECTION, 2020 Cadence Video Poetry Festival, Seattle, USA.
• ‘Distance’ = OFFICIAL SELECTION at the Miracle Makers International Film and Writers’ Festival, Las Vegas, July 2021.
• ‘Pivot Point’ = OFFICIAL SELECTION at the Fotogenia Film Festival, Mexico, November 2021